As we recognize the 41st anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion and paved the way for the legal murdering of over 55 million babies in our nation, it is important that we stop to consider the fallacies that made that ruling possible. Keep in mind that the ruling has led to the following: 3,300 abortions daily, which translates to 137 abortions per hour every hour, or a baby being murdered every 30 seconds. It has been said, “The most dangerous place in America is inside a mother’s womb.” How have we gotten to this place in America, a nation which was founded upon Biblical principles and with respect for the commandments of God?
The court case of Roe vs. Wade was based upon several lies, some of which are listed below:
1) Plaintiff Jane ‘Roe’ lied and said she had been raped when she found herself pregnant and was referred to activist lawyers who were aggressively looking for pregnant women. The very premise of the law was based upon the violation of God’s command to ‘not bear false witness.’ Exodus 20:16 See also Exodus 23:1-2. By God’s grace, ‘Roe’, aka Norma L. McCorvey, repented of her involvement in Roe vs. Wade, and became pro-life in 1995. She is now a vocal opponent of abortion; in 2005 she even filed a petition to have the ruling overturned, but it was denied. She is a walking testimony of what happens to a person who receives God’s grace and forgiveness, and how He can transform a life!
2) The assumption that a woman has a right to do with her own body whatever she wants. God’s Word tells us that He created us in His image (Genesis 1:27); for His purpose and His pleasure (Isaiah 43:7); that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and not our own because they have been bought with the price of Jesus’ blood and we are to honor God with our bodies (1st Corinthians 6:19-20). “Know that the Lord Himself is God: it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture.” (Psalm 100:3, NASV)
3) That a woman knows what is better for her body and the life of her child than God, the One Who created her and her baby. Isaiah 55: 8-9 clearly tells us that God’s ways are so much higher than man’s way, and Isaiah 45:9 reminds us that it would be ludicrous for a lump of clay to tell the potter what to do with it.
4) That a pregnancy unplanned for or unexpected by a woman somehow caught God by surprise, and that He is powerless to help her and her baby. The Bible is the story of God’s extravagant provision for His beloved children. Throughout scripture we see God faithfully providing for people, His most prized creation. If we humble ourselves, look to Him, and surrender our lives to Him we can rest assured that, “… God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19) His greatest provision is Himself, and He has promised to ‘never leave or forsake you’ (Hebrews 13:5) if you put your trust in Him. The God Who created the world and gave you His beloved Son can be trusted to give you all that you need (Romans 8:31-32)!
5) That man determines when life begins rather than God. "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)
6) That a child is merely 'tissue’, an 'embryo’, an ‘inconvenience’, or even a curse instead of the incredible blessing that God tells us that a child is. “ "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.” Psalm 127:3 (see also Deuteronomy 7:14)
7) That our words do not matter, and that we will not be held accountable for the words we use. Proverbs 18: 21 tells us, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.” Matthew 12:36 warns us that we will be held accountable for every careless word. Using the words like 'tissue’, or 'fetus’ and 'pro-choice’ gives the mistaken impression that abortion is something less than what it is…murder of a child created by God and in His image, and for His purposes. Abortion is murder, which God forbids (Exodus 20: 13). It is a sin, that although it can be forgiven if one repents of it, grieves the heart of God who loves both the mother and child, and longs for them both to have abundant, as well as eternal life. God created and loves life, whereas Satan is a murderer, the 'Father of Lies’ (John 8:44), and the one who comes to 'rob, steal, kill and destroy.“(John 10:10)
8) That mankind can mock God by sinning against Him and violating the commandments He gave to us because He loves us and knows what’s best for us, and get away with it. God will not be mocked; we will reap what we sow (Galatians 6: 7-8). "This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.” (Deuteronomy 30:19) “There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, … (Proverbs 6:17) The Bible clearly states that there is judgment for nations that violate His Word as well as for individuals. ”Since you did not hate bloodshed, bloodshed will pursue you.” (Ezekiel 35:6)
May we be found faithful to pray that our nation wakes up to the lies that we have believed, confess our sin against God and His children, and repent so that God might relent and be merciful and not bring the judgment we deserve upon our land!
Written by JVG