Since 1973 when abortion was legalized in this country, fifty five million babies have been legally murdered. It has been estimated that the number of women aged 15-64 who have had an abortion has risen from 2.8% in 1973 to over 35% today. Think of it–over one-third of our female population has had an abortion! And the number of people directly impacted by abortion is so much greater when you consider the fathers of the children as well as other family members such as siblings and grandparents.
We have slaughtered the equivalent of a whole generation. And tragically, most people—even most Christians—are unfazed by this national holocaust. No matter how much we wish to sanitize it with semantics, abortion is murder.
How can we look at Nazi Germany and be aghast at the apathy of the German people that allowed over 11 million people to be killed, and not be horrified by the sin of our nation where 5 times that number have been murdered? How can we hear of this genocide and not be overwhelmed with grief? How can we not be overcome with anguish for all of God’s cherished children who have been murdered? How can we not have broken hearts for all of the women and men who are burdened with the guilt and shame of their sin? How can we not realize that our silence in the face of such sin is contributing to the judgment on our nation?
We as the Body of Christ must recognize that EVERYONE has to assume responsibility for this national sin that has eaten away at the moral fiber of our nation. Remaining silent and doing nothing is not an option for a disciple of Christ.
So, what must we do?
We must address the sin head-on and call it what it is—murder—while at the same time, lovingly share the ‘good news’ that Jesus came to earth to save sinners and to deliver them from the penalty and power of sin. (Mark 16:15) We need to let women and men know that forgiveness and healing can be found at the foot of the cross! Jesus alone can take away the guilt and shame of our sin…and He longs for us to humble ourselves and confess our sin so that we can be cleansed from it!
- “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1st John 1:9
- “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.“ Romans 8:1
We must be actively involved in stopping the slaughter of God’s treasured children. He has commanded us to take care of the weak and helpless. We can help to do so by providing financial, volunteer and other in-kind support to pregnancy centers; homes for pregnant women who choose to bear their children; adoption agencies; and other pro-life ministries. And, rather than ostracizing them, provide encouragement, love, and tangible support to women who elect not to kill their babies. Embrace them with the love that Christ has so freely extended to you!
- “Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, ‘But we knew nothing about this,’ does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?” (Proverbs 24:11-12)
- Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.“ (Psalm 82:3-4)
- "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” (Proverbs 31:8-9)
We must assume our God-given and key role as prayer warriors! “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Ephesians 6:12) Our great need is for us to ‘always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.’ (Ephesians 6:18)
And for what and whom should we pray?
- For God to be merciful in the midst of His judgment; that we who know Him would cry out to Him and repent of our sin! (Habakkuk 3:2)
- For those who have had an abortion to come to realize their sin and confess it, receive forgiveness, and be restored to fellowship with Christ.
- For those who have an unplanned pregnancy to seek the mind and heart of God; that they would choose life for their child, and choose to surrender their life to Christ; and that others would come alongside them to support them in their decision not to murder God’s child that they are carrying.
- For pastors and the Body of Christ who have remained silent on the issue to speak the truth in love that abortion is not a woman’s ‘choice’…it is murder. That every Christian would ‘be strong and courageous’ and willing to confront sin as Jesus did, and also be like Him and extend to those who have had or are considering an abortion the same love that Christ freely gave to them.
- For Christians to wake up! That we would contend for the faith (Jude 1:1) and obey God’s laws and strive against man’s laws when they conflict with God’s will. (…those who rebuke the wicked will have delight, and a good blessing will come upon them. Proverbs 24: 25)
- For the ‘fear of the Lord’ to consume the judiciary, executive branch, and legislative branches of our government; and that each one would govern in accordance with God’s laws.
- For pregnancy service centers, homes for pregnant women who choose life, adoption agencies, and other pro-life ministries to receive the volunteer, in-kind and financial support they need to minister to the women and men dealing with an unplanned pregnancy.
- For yourself: that you would be found faithful to stand up for righteousness by: praying; speaking the truth in love regarding abortion, and sharing the gospel with those who have been affected by it; contacting elected and appointed officials and letting them know you are against murdering our nation’s children and for 'life’; supporting ministries that work with women considering an abortion and those women who choose to bear their child; and in every way pointing others to God, the Author and Sustainer of Life, Who came to earth to give His life so that all who receive Him as Savior may have abundant and eternal life in Him!
Written by Julie Van Gorp